TAN KHUU, M.D.
Tan Khuu is a Doctor of Dental Surgery Student at the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC. Class of 2018. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences and a Doctor of Medicine Degree (MD) from the University of South Carolina.
Within the field of dentistry, he has a special interest in biomimetics and aspires to focus his practice on conservative dentistry, oral rehabilitation, and aesthetics with an emphasis on utilizing evidence-based best practices in both dentistry and medicine to achieve predictable outcomes safely for his patients.
- Portraiture (Studio & Natural Lighting)
- Interiors / Architecture
- Event Photography (Weddings & Etc.)
- Post-production - Advanced user of Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom
Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC
- Los Angeles, California
- Doctor of Dental Surgery Candidate
- 2014 - Present
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
- Columbia, South Carolina
- Medical Doctorate Degree
University of South Carolina
- Columbia, South Carolina
- Bachelor of Science, Biological Sciences
- Medical Humanities Minor
Denmark International Studies
- København, Denmark
- Medical Practice and Policy Program
- Study Tours in Western Denmark, Germany, and Poland.
The Fine Arts Center
- Greenville, South Carolina
- Fine Arts Photography Course
- Metalworking & Jewelry Making Course
RESEARCH & ORAL PRESENTATIONS
Flip the Classroom: Using Technology to Humanize Teacher-Learner Interaction
- 2012 APGO Faculty Development Seminar
- Supervisors: Francis S. Nuthalapaty, MD and Alice W. Chuang, MD
- Serving as visuals consultant
- Abstract submitted
Delayed Diagnosis of Aortic Coarctation in a 35 Year Old Female Patient
- South Carolina Vascular Society 2011 Annual Meeting
- Supervisor: Christopher G. Carsten, MD
- Case presenter
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Management and Outcomes at Greenville Memorial Hospital
- Clinical Undergrad & Resident Research Experience, South Carolina
- Supervisor: Steven D. Trocha MD FACS
- Medical Student Investigator. Participated in a summer research study titled "Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Management and Outcomes at Greenville Memorial Hospital: A 10 year retrospective study." Supervised undergraduate researchers. Assisted in data collection and organization.
- Abstract submission pending.
Medical Students 4 Burn Care International
- Average Hours/Week: 2
- Designed, developed and moderated the website for this organization.
- Tasks included content organization, educated users on site use, implemented a shopping cart for monetary transactions including but not limited to sales of fundraising items and donations.
Personal Touch Volunteer, Palmetto Baptist Hospital
- Average Hours/Week: 8
- Visited with patients, listened, and provided emotional support.
- Assisted patients with personal care.
- Supported patients during medical and nursing procedures.
- Fed patients.
- Assisted hospital staff with errands such as taking specimens to the lab, picking up medical records and supplies, etc
Vietnamese Students Association
- Average Hours/Week: 10
- Presided over organization meetings.
- Maintained contact with organization advisor and alumni.
- Organized events.
- Served as a spokesperson for the organization.
- Assisted all executive officers.
- Provided encouragement and motivation to fellow officers and organization members.
Vietnamese Overseas Initiative
- Local Fundraising Chair
- Average Hours/Week: 5
- Coordinated local fundraising events for the Vietnamese Overseas Initiative for Conscience Empowerment, an organization that facilitates outreach projects and awareness campaigns. It also provides legal and social assistance to Vietnamese refugees in Southeast Asia.
Resident Advisor, University of South Carolina
- Average Hours/Week: 15
- Supervised students living in my residence hall.
- Acted as a para-counselor for student residents.
- First resource for students with institutional and academic questions.
- Organized residence hall activities.
- Enforced residence hall policies.
University Peer Leader, University of South Carolina
- Average Hours/Week: 7
- Collaborated with other peer leaders and faculty to create an inviting campus community.
- Served as a mentor to students.
- Facilitated group discussions.
- Encouraged students to become involved in a variety of activities on campus and in the community.
HONORS AND RECOGNITION
- Benjamin Gilman International Scholarship (2007)
- Palmetto Fellows Scholars Award (2004)
- Sirrine Scholars Award (2004)
- University Scholars Award (2004)
- Academy of Microscope Enhanced Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- American Student Dental Association